The past is never dead. It’s not even past.
~ William Faulkner, Requiem for a Nun
Peaking out from my bomb shelter, here is a little myth busting for you.
- Yes, Clinton is winning the popular vote. Turns out in a massive country such as ours, one with a decentralized voting system, it takes awhile to count them all. Don’t believe the spin doctors about there being a mandate or that Dems need to learn a lesson from this. Millions more people voted for Clinton.
- Trump’s win is a function of where his voters live. Under our current system (the Electoral College) an individual vote from Wyoming counts 3.6 times more than an individual vote from California.
- We tell ourselves a lot of fake stories about who we are as a nation. As a voter who has been on the losing end of the popular/electoral divide twice in 16 years, I no longer suffer from any delusions that our system is fair or democratic.
- Voter turnout wasn’t way down
- Education was the predictor of Trump voters
- There’s no evidence of massive voter fraud. There is, however, plenty of evidence that Trump is temperamentally unfit to be the leader of the free world. As much as I’d like to think a recount could stop him, I don’t think it will. I think Stein is doing it all for her own glory but if she’s within her legal rights, rock on. Who knows? Maybe it will lead to a more reliable voting system in the future.
- Additionally, this wasn’t an electoral landslide, aka “blowout.”
- I learned a lot from his meeting with the New York Times.
- No locking her up is going down.**
- Maybe climate change is real after all
- He’s not so sure on torture either
- Well, maybe not exactly repealing the ACA on day one either. Maybe improving it instead
- Rather than being a failing, sad rag, “The Times is, it’s a great, great American jewel.”
- I was thinking that maybe I should be grateful on Thanksgiving that he apparently didn’t mean what he said in his campaign.
- Of course, anyone who goes from flip to flop in a heartbeat can just as easily flip again.
- And speaking of draining the swamp, Trump is nominating a former Bush official and the wife of Mitch McConnell for transportation secretary and a former Goldman Sachs executive and current hedge fund manager for Treasury Secretary. He is **considering a man for Secretary of State who actually pleaded guilty to mishandling classified information (See: “Lock Her Up”)
- There is evidence that Trump hates everything America stands for, especially in terms of the first amendment.
I don’t know if Trump tweets are a bread and circuses move or if he’s truly got thin skin and an impulse control problem. We need good, strong journalism to hold him accountable. Trump’s tweets insulting the cast of Hamilton served as a convenient misdirection from his $25M fraud lawsuit settlement. There are no shortage of potential scandals coming our way and we need our 4th estate.
We all need to pay attention here because one of the greatest risks we are facing is normalizing extremism.
I believe we need to realize that good journalism is expensive. If you want free content, you’re going to get what you paid for.
Subscribe, folks. Read. Speak up.
It might be too late to stop this train wreck, but it’s not too late bend the curve of the tracks.